Section MenuCaptains Welcome
General Managers Welcome
On Course Marketing
Richard Harrison Club founder
The Halifax and Huddersfield District Union of Golf Clubs
Click to view full gallery
A historical place to play golfThe first reference to Crow Nest dates from 1592 but the grand house designed by John Carr was built by the Walker family in 1775. Timber to build the property was purchased and shipped to Brighouse, from the Baltic-in-Russia.The Walker family resided at Crow Nest for approx 200 years. Titus Salt rented the house between 1844 and 1858 but was asked to leave after the death of Ann Walker because her brother, Mr Sutherland -Walker wanted to take up residence in the manor house. Sir Titus Salt took up residency at Methley Hall, near Leeds where he lived until 1867.
The house was placed on the market by Mr Sutherland-Walker in 1867 when Sir Titus Salt bought the property for £26,500. Upon his return to Lightcliffe Salt claimed that it was like coming home, as did many of the locals who welcomed the influential family back. The estate had not been well maintained during his absence and required a great deal of expense. During his second period at Crow Nest, he built the boating lake and island which can still be seen and admired. Sir Titus Salt lived at Crow Nest until his death on December 29th 1876.
During the 1st period of occupation flocks of Llama`s, Alpaca`s & sheep were left to roam and graze on the lush grounds to the north of the house. These animals must have been a strange and wonderous sight for the Bradford workers when they visited the property. One renound visitor was the missionary and explorer, Dr Livingstone
Titus Salt held two of the biggest events in the area at the house, 3000 people attended his 50th birthday and for his 70th birthday it is reported that 5000 of his workers attended, many of whom travelled by train to Lightcliffe Railway station.
Sir Titus Salt died in 1876 and Crow Nest changed hands several times before Richard Harrison bought the property.
During the second world war, Italian prisoners of war were billeted at Crow Nest and worked locally as did German prisoners who were billeted at nearby Cliffe Hill. Many locals will remember the brightly coloured slippers that the Italians made from straw or plaited string.
Sadly the grand house was demolished many years ago, however golfers can still find remnants of some of the old buildings if they stray off the fairways. The Clubs picturesque 5th hole still has the Old Boathouse which previously housed the "punts" which were used as leisure crafts taking the residents around the lakes island.